call Today! 415-448-7992
call Today! 415-448-7992

Alleviate the Aftermath of a Conviction

Anyone convicted of a crime has a number of available options to help alleviate the aftermath. Once a conviction goes on a person’s record, it is often difficult to escape its shadow. This information can be accessed by potential employers and government workers. In many cases, an employer will not want to hire an individual who has a questionable past. This is a most unfortunate reality. However, if you have found yourself in this impossible position, you can still take action. There are a number of paths that you can take to help alleviate this state of affairs.

Possible Solutions

Which path you can take will depend on the nature of the crime and its resulting conviction. An expungement may be one option that you can choose. However, not all crimes will qualify to undergo this process. If you do not qualify to expunge your record, you may request a Certificate of Rehabilitation. This path will not remove the infraction from your record. However, it will be a positive statement that potential employers can look at.

This certificate will tell an employer that you have reformed from your former ways and are now reintegrated into society. It also will tell a state licensing board that they cannot outright refuse to consider you for a license, such as a teaching credential, security guard certificate or a real estate license. It also may allow some sex offenders to be relieved of their duty to register. However, the crime will still be seen as a prior conviction if you are faced with another charge.

Application Process

When you decide to take this step, you must fill out a Notice of Filing for Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon, followed by the Petition for Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon. There are no fees to do so. You can fill out these documents after you have completed all the requirements of your sentence. For San Francisco residents, you must have been a resident in California for at least five years just prior to turning in the petition. You will receive a hearing with the DA’s office as long as you meet all of the eligibility requirements.

Your attorney can represent you during this time. However, you do not necessarily need an attorney to go through this procedure, it is highly recommended that you do so. At Okabe & Haushalter, we are dedicated to providing you with top legal guidance and representation. Our experienced legal team will exhaust every avenue in our efforts to have your charges eliminated, reduced, or pardoned. For the help you need, do not hesitate to call our firm today!